Latest Posts

What to do when you get an IRS notice letter

Don’t panic. People often get letters from the IRS notifying them of changes to their account. Most of the time you don’t need to do anything. Other times, you will need to edit your information or send a letter back.

If you get a letter with a notice code, simply follow the instructions on the letter to take care of the issue.

Read the IRS letter carefully

The letter will usually give you directions on what to do. As an example:

CP171: This notice is sent out semi-annually to remind you of a tax balance that is due. This amount includes penalty and accrued interest. It is important to set up a payment plan immediately if you are unable to pay the amount in full.


CP210/CP220: The IRS has made changes to your tax return from the year listed on the notice. Please read this carefully as it explains the changes the IRS has made to your account. If you agree, make your payment (if you happen to have a balance owed) by the due date, and if you disagree contact the IRS at the toll-free number listed on your notice.

There are many other types of notices, so read it carefully to know what yours is about and what you should do about it.

If you agree to the IRS notice

If you agree with the notice, you usually don’t need to reply.

If they give you a balance to pay, the instructions will direct you on how to pay for the amount owed.

If you do not agree to the IRS notice

If you do not agree with the notice, it’s important for you to respond.

Write a letter to explain why you disagree.

What to include in your letter:

  • Any information you want the IRS to consider.
  • Any documents you want the IRS to examine.
  • A written document telling your stance.
  • Allow at least 30 days for a response.

If it’s a large amount you need to dispute, contact us so we can help.

Other things you can do if you get an IRS letter

You shouldn’t have to call or visit an IRS office for most notices. A letter will usually do the trick.

If you do have questions, call the phone number in the upper right-hand corner of the notice.

When you call, have a copy of your tax return and the notice handy so you can answer their questions.

Keep copies of any notices you receive with your other tax records.

At McCauley Law Offices, P.C., our lawyers will find a solution to your tax problems, no matter how complex your IRS issue is. View our services and contact us (or call 610-388-4474) to schedule a free consultation with one of our tax attorneys. View and purchase Gregory McCauley’s published work “TAXJAMS: Simple Solutions” on Amazon. From our office in Chester County, Pennsylvania, we find tax solutions for clients throughout the country.

McCauley Law Offices can help!

Shared Posts